Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone....

Re-vision, to see again. I really like this topic, as I had not thought of revision in this way before. Revision is looking at a paper in a new light, in a different way, with new perspective. I suppose we are all constantly revising our attitudes and actions as well, and learning to see again.

On Sunday, our bishop shared a powerful story called "The Spyglass," I believe. There once was a kingdom in disrepair and disaster. The fields were unfruitful and unkept, the economy was in shambles, and the countryside was disgusting. One day a traveler came by and stopped at the king's palace, mistaking it for an inn. He talked with the king about the state of the kingdom, and promised him a gift if the king would let him stay the night. The next morning, the stranger gave the king a magic spyglass. When looking thru this spyglass, the king could see things as they had the potential to be. The fields looked fruitful and beautiful. The economy was healthy. The people were productive and happy. The king traveled around the country sharing the spyglass with his citizens, showing them what their country could be. With new motivation, having seen the outcome of their labors, the people revolutionized the country and made it an amazing and ideal nation. Then the stranger came back and requested his spyglass. The king responded, "No! I need it!" The stranger told him he did not need it, all he had needed all along was faith and vision.

I think this story applies to revision. Sometimes we have to stretch our minds and look at what our papers (or our lives, for that matter) have the potential to become. This "vision again" provides us with the motivation to work toward that goal. I am grateful for good people, and divine prophets in particular, who have the perspective to inspire me, to hand me a proverbial spyglass thru which I can see my potential. Writing is rewriting is rewriting; vision is revision is revision; and life is reliving is reliving.

No comments: